It’s been a long, long time since I last made macaron. And since I have a quiet weekend, I decided to brush up on my macarons. Chocolate was never a question, but it took me a while to decide on the second flavour. And I finally settled on pistachio, seeing the big jar of pistachio paste sitting in my fridge.
I am always a bit too cautious when mixing the color for my pistachio macarons, and ended up more yellow than green. Rookie’s mistake.
Makes enough filling for 23 macarons
For the chocolate ganache
95g dark chocolate couverture (> 70% cocoa butter)
85g heavy cream
27g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1) Melt chocolate and heavy cream in a saucepan over low heat, stirring continuously.
2) Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
3) Stir in the butter until completely melted.
4) Process with a hand blender until ganache is smooth and glossy.
Makes enough filling for 24 macarons (approximately 1/3 left)
For the Swiss meringue pistachio buttercream
40g egg whites
50g granulated sugar
100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
50g pistachio, toasted
1/4 tsp fleur de sel
25g pistachio paste
1) Heat egg whites and sugar over water bath, whisking until sugar has melted completely.
2) Whisk egg white mixture using a stand mixer until stiff peaks form.
3) Add butter and continue whisking until buttercream is light and fluffy.
4) Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until fully incorporated.