It’s a little early, but my gal pals and I decided to get together one weekend and try our hands at baking some mooncakes. As we weren’t sure which type to try, and since these are my favourite type, we decided to give these a go.
These are surprisingly easy to make! And to be honest, we spent more time chatting than actually baking. We were surprised and delighted to see the signature “cracks” on the surface of the mooncakes. And they are delicious too!
Makes 8 large mooncakes
For the pastry
120g unsalted butter, at room temperature
40g caster sugar
1 1/2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese powder
1 tbsp corn flour
180g plain flour
1) Mix Parmesan cheese powder, corn flour and plain flour together in a bowl.
2) Using the paddle attachment, whisk butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add milk and whisk until incorporated.
3) Add the flour mixture and combine to form a soft dough.
4) Cover with cling wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
250g lotus paste
30g, melon seeds, roasted
8 salted egg yolks
1 egg yolk + 1/2 tsp water
Black sesame seeds, optional
1) Mix melon seeds into lotus paste, making sure it is well distributed. Divide it into 8 portions of 35g each.
2) Flatten the lotus paste into rounds and put a salted egg yolk in the center of each round and wrap it up, rolled into a ball.
3) Preheat conventional oven to 180C, no fan and line a baking tray with parchment.
4) Remove the pastry skin from the refrigerator, knead until smooth and divide it into 8 portions of 45g each.
5) Flatten a portion of the pastry and place the prepared lotus seed portion in the middle then wrap it up and roll into a ball.
6) Place the pastries onto the prepared baking tray.
7) Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes then remove and let rest for 5 minutes.
8) Prepare egg wash by lightly beating the egg yolk and water and gently brush this onto each pastry. Decorate with a bit of sesame seeds, if using.
9) Return to the oven to bake for further 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
10) Allow to cool completely before storing in airtight containers.