I had a bit of an incident with the tart shells and ended up binning my first batch of baked shells. But I was set to make these tarts before heading off for my vacation, so I made a new batch of tart shells, which turned out nicely.
Had a bit of a boo-boo with the mangoes as well. They were sitting in the fridge for almost 2 weeks. And when I removed them for the tart, I realised only one out of 3 fruits were ripe. Thankfully, one, despite not being fully ripe, was fragrant and edible. Overall, am quite pleased with how these tarts turned out, and I thought they are rather pretty too.
Makes 5 x 8cm tartlets
For the moelleux au chocolat
30g unsalted butter
50g dark chocolate couverture
45g egg whites
40g caster sugar
1 tbsp plain flour
30g ground almond
5 x 8cm pâte sucrée beurrée tart shells
1) Preheat oven to 200C fan.
2) Melt the butter and chocolate over a water bath.
3) Whisk the egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks form.
4) Gently fold the meringue into the chocolate mixture.
5) Finally, fold the flour and ground almond into the batter.
6) Divide the batter equally in the 5 tart shells and bake in preheated oven for 4 minutes.
For the bavaroise coco
1 1/3 gelatine leave
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
30g brown sugar
113g coconut cream
113g heavy cream, whipped
1) Bloom the gelatine leaves in cold water.
2) Add vanilla extract, egg yolks and brown sugar in a bowl and whisk until mixture is well mixed.
3) Bring the coconut cream to a light boil, then pour a third into the bowl with the egg yolk mixture to temper it. Then, pour the tempered egg yolk mixture back into the coconut cream in the saucepan.
4) On low heat, cook the coconut cream mixture while stirring continuously, until the cream has thickened.
5) Remove coconut cream from heat.
6) Squeeze extra liquid from the gelatine leaves, then add to the hot cream and stir to melt completely. Allow to cool to room temperature.
7) When coconut cream has cooled, fold in the whipped cream. Use immediately.
2 large mangoes
1) Slice mangoes horizontally so you get 2 large pieces of fruit from each mango. Place each piece of cut mango down on the flat side, with the longer side facing you. Then slice each piece into thin slices.
2) Fill each tart shell with bavaroise coco, pouring it on top of the chocolate cake, leaving about 2mm from the top of the tart shell.
3) Arrange the sliced mango around the tart shell, letting them sit in the bavaroise coco. I find it easier to arrange it from outside in (starting from the edge of the tart shell to the middle).