Going on a trip back to my hometown is always a much anticipated event. And knowing how much my mum loved these pistachio (and dad likes the chocolate) macarons, I am really glad that they turned out well.
I used to be very confident of my macarons, but of late, probably due to the lack of practice, the result had been a little unsatisfactory. On my part, all I can do is to ensure measurements and instructions are followed to a “T”. After that, I pray.
Thankfully the prayer is effective this time. Also thanks to the kind soul who spared a bit of birthday wish magic to wish these well.
For the pistachio Swiss meringue buttercream (enough to fill 20 to 25 pieces)
45g toasted pistachio
1/4 tsp fleur de sel
35g egg white
40g granulated sugar
80g unsalted butter
7g pistachio paste
1) Using a grinder, grind the toasted pistachios and fleur de sel until fine. Set aside to cool.
2) Put egg white and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer then heat the bowl over a Bain Marie, whisking continuously, until sugar has completely dissolved.
3) Remove from Bain Marie and using the whisk attachment, whisk on high for 5 to 10 minutes until meringue is stiff and has cooled to room temperature.
4) Add butter and pistachio paste and continue to whisk until fully incorporated.
5) Fold in the ground pistachio until well distributed. If buttercream is too soft, allow to chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before using.