Twitter has surprisingly opened up a host of new recipes where I least expected it. And also met some kindred spirit from across the oceans. It is a pity I waited this long to sign on. But, better late than never I reckon.
Of the many, many recipes I saw, this is one recipe I felt I just had to give it a try – savoury cake. And relatively healthy too, without all those sugar.
Makes 1 loaf cake
225g grated zucchini
½ tsp salt
200g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 large eggs
100ml whole milk
100ml grape seed oil
Generous grind of black pepper
100g smoked salmon pieces
10g freshly chopped chives
1) Preheat oven to 180C fan. Grease and line a loaf pan.
2) Grate the zucchini. Sprinkle salt over the grated zucchini and leave in a sieve to drain while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
3) Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
4) Lightly whisk the eggs. Then add the milk and oil and whisk until mixed. Pour the liquid over the flour and mix lightly.
5) Add the black pepper, smoked salmon and chives and fold until just mixed. Do not over fold.
6) Scrap the batter into the lined pan and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Serve warm.
This should be a rather viable breakfast option, seeing I have been short on that of late. I did not make any changes from the original recipe, but thought it might benefit from a tad more salt. Or perhaps the smoked salmon I bought was a little under salted. But, that makes it even healthier.