I never knew how well onion goes with bread until I started baking my own bread. And I am surprised i don’t find that many people baking bread with onions.
This recipe is from Peter Reinhart from his book, Peter Reinhart’s Artisan Breads Every Day (I made one loaf, so, half of the original recipe):
397 g unbleached bread flour
7 g salt
1 ½ tablespoons honey
114 g lukewarm water
127 g whole milk
7 g instant yeast
28 g vegetable oil
99 g diced onion (no harm adding slightly more)
170 g grated Cheddar
1) In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour and salt together. Separately, combine the water, milk and honey, whisk in the yeast until dissolved, then pour the mixture and the vegetable oil into the dry ingredients. Use a large spoon and stir for about 2 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
2) Continue mixing by hand, for 3 minutes, adjusting with flour or liquid as needed. The dough should be soft, supple, and tacky but not sticky. Add the onions and continus mixing by hand for 1 minute, until the onions are evenly distributed.
3) Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead for 1 or 2 minutes to make any final adjustments, then form the dough into a ball.
4) Place the dough in a clean, lightly oiled bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let it proof at room temperature until double the size (about 60 to 90 minutes).
5) Transfer the proofed dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Dust with flour, then use a rolling pin to roll it into a rectangle about 8 inches wide and 12 inches high. Spread the grated cheese over the surface and roll the dough up like a rug, from the bottom to the top, to form a log. Seal the seam with your fingertips. Then leave it to proof at room temperature for about 90 minutes, until increased to about 1 ½ times its original size.
6) About 15 minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 175C for a convection oven. Bake loaf for 20 minutes, then rotate the pans, rotate rolls after 10 minutes. The total baking time is about 50 minutes. The bread is done when it’s a deep golden brown. Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack for at least an hour before slicing.